MEMOIRS OF SCHOOL STREET VILLAGE

Thanks so much for the great response to this blog!
A special thank you to those who have passed it on to others. We are heading quickly to amazing page visits to this blog! Welcome to folks from all over the country and other countries as well, including Lisbon!!

The "Village", as it was called, is located in the northwest corner of the city of Taunton, Massachusetts U.S.A. It covers about 1 square mile with the center being School Street. A large portion of the Village population was Portuguese when I was growing up.

This blog covers a lot of the history of the Village, much to do with my years as a child there: 1940 through the late 1950's. I do have many wonderful photos and information prior to that that and will share those as well. Always looking for MORE PHOTOS AND MORE STORIES TO TELL.

If you would like to send photos or share a memory of growing up in the Village
e-mail me at spinoart@comcast.net
feel free to comment on the posts. Directions are on the right side of the blog posts. Jump in, the water is fine and it is easy!!!


I will be posting photographs but not identifying individuals unless I have permission or they are a matter of public record. It you wish to give me permission, please let me know.

I am looking for any and all photos of the Village...

Please note: the way blogs work is that the latest post is first. It you would like to start from the beginning of the blog, check out the post labels on the right of the blog and go from there. Thanks.


Sunday, October 21, 2012

A BIT OF HISTORY, MAESTRO....


Taunton is a very old city and before I was born had had a rich history from colonial times . I found the photo above  among my treasures.  I cannot assign authorship, as I made a faux pas and did not keep note of it.  But, it may have been The Bristol County Historical Society.  Though this was not taken in the Village, here in 1900 is Mr. Chester H. Morse and Miss Rachel Morse in the first motor car in the city.  The car was made in in Easton, MA.

In 1900 the Village was just beginning to be formed. Portuguese immigrants were coming to the city and settled near relatives and friends. That was often in the School Street area. Many of those first immigrants, such as my grandparents, would never learn the English language, leaving it up to their children to translate if needed.  When I came along I would grow up with the soft syllables of the Portuguese language being a familiar and comforting sound all around me.  I would grow up to miss it and to be sorry that I had not learned to speak the language of my forebears.





World War II ended in 1945.  I remember as a five year old being taken out into Braga Square as all the bells in Taunton rang out. I remember a big crowd of cheering neighbors and that I wore a blue chenille bathrobe.  It was the start of a new day for the nation and the Village.

Minimum wage was $.43 an hour, 55% of American homes had indoor plumbing, life expectancy was 68.2 years of age for women and 60.8 for men.  Teacher salaries were $1,441 a year.




Optimism was everywhere.  My father started a small electrical company.  As we shall see later the sense of entrepreneurship was alive and well in the Village.  We were always a gang of kids who grew up together.  Here are myself, far right with Sonny Mador, Norm DaCosta behind him,my brother Frank with the hat.  My cousin Helena next to him, my sister Kathy next to her and Paul Alvarnaz behind her.  Do not know the middle guy.  I think these are correct names....  Taken at our home in Taunton.


Sources: The Internet, my photo archives. We will speak more about Braga Square later, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment