MEMOIRS OF SCHOOL STREET VILLAGE

Thanks so much for the great response to this blog!
A special thank you to those who have passed it on to others. We are heading quickly to amazing page visits to this blog! Welcome to folks from all over the country and other countries as well, including Lisbon!!

The "Village", as it was called, is located in the northwest corner of the city of Taunton, Massachusetts U.S.A. It covers about 1 square mile with the center being School Street. A large portion of the Village population was Portuguese when I was growing up.

This blog covers a lot of the history of the Village, much to do with my years as a child there: 1940 through the late 1950's. I do have many wonderful photos and information prior to that that and will share those as well. Always looking for MORE PHOTOS AND MORE STORIES TO TELL.

If you would like to send photos or share a memory of growing up in the Village
e-mail me at spinoart@comcast.net
feel free to comment on the posts. Directions are on the right side of the blog posts. Jump in, the water is fine and it is easy!!!


I will be posting photographs but not identifying individuals unless I have permission or they are a matter of public record. It you wish to give me permission, please let me know.

I am looking for any and all photos of the Village...

Please note: the way blogs work is that the latest post is first. It you would like to start from the beginning of the blog, check out the post labels on the right of the blog and go from there. Thanks.


Sunday, October 28, 2012

THE VILLAGE- A PLACE TO FIND NEARLY EVERYTHING

As we chatted about the little neighborhood markets and their delightful accessibility, my sister Kathy remembered her late husband, Leo Campanirio (a great Village storyteller if ever there was one). He said that when he was little his family lived in The Block, a one story apartment building mid-Village which was right next door to Santos Market.  At the age of 2 years, his Mom would send him to Santos to pick up some grocery item or another....  The Village was a safe place.


                                                                  circa 1950's Fall River, MA
                                                               my father-in-law delivering Hood milk


Everything was all around families in the Village.  Milk and cream were delivered to your door. This is a photo of my husband's Dad, George Pineault, who delivered milk to the Highlands in Fall River for years including the time we are discussing here.  I recall that the milk, in glass bottles, sometimes was placed right in your refrigerator by your milk man. The cream would sit high in the bottle atop the milk and we would love putting it on our hot Cream of Wheat cereal.

 Our milk man in the Village was Albert Poole, for years he delivered milk until one day he became our insurance man....for just as long.  When I became a hospital administrator I met another who was Albert's daughter...circles going out from the Village.

If you required other items, they could usually be found in either yours or a neighbor's yard. The idea of victory gardens was alive and well still in the Village. Many of the houses in the Village had large back
lots which houses chicken coops and large gardens like this one found on the Internet.



10 comments:

  1. Sandy,I'm blown away with your blog! Hope I have luck sending you this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the milk came in bottles with a curved neck which allowed the cream to rise. My mother had a special spoon with a curved handle which blocked the milk.Our favorite dessert was gingerbread topped with whipped cream.Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I lived on School St across the street from the block. We lived in the three decker owned by the Santos who ran the store.
    The garage had a sign on it that read PARKING FOR TENANTS ONLY. I rarely went into the garage cause I thought there was 10 big ants in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love reading anything about the Village and especially Fuller School which lives on in my mind forever, thanks for sharing such a special memory!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great blog about the Village. I lived on Wilbur Steet and of course went to Fuller School. My best friends at that time was Eileen Santos, and Elaine Baptist who lived toward St. Joseph Cemetary on School Street, but I knew many other kids from the area. I don't know if anyone would remember, but we had a pony and my brothers would charge either a nickle or dime for a ride. Yes, it was a great time. Thanks for sharing. Gilda Mello Lynch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilda:

      I am a niece of Elaine Baptist and I would like to speak to you. I sent a message to you via Facebook.

      Thank you.

      Marlene Baptist

      Delete
  6. Awesome story. So glad to read it. Takes me way back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leo Campanerio was married to my aunts sister Jean Brady. Was there another Leo? Do you remember the Ramalho family? Tony was a barber on Winter St.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do remember Tony Ramalo, barber on Winter St.
    Leo was Campanirio and my late brother-in-law married to my sister Kathy.

    ReplyDelete