MEMOIRS OF SCHOOL STREET VILLAGE

Thanks so much for the great response to this blog!
A special thank you to those who have passed it on to others. We are heading quickly to amazing page visits to this blog! Welcome to folks from all over the country and other countries as well, including Lisbon!!

The "Village", as it was called, is located in the northwest corner of the city of Taunton, Massachusetts U.S.A. It covers about 1 square mile with the center being School Street. A large portion of the Village population was Portuguese when I was growing up.

This blog covers a lot of the history of the Village, much to do with my years as a child there: 1940 through the late 1950's. I do have many wonderful photos and information prior to that that and will share those as well. Always looking for MORE PHOTOS AND MORE STORIES TO TELL.

If you would like to send photos or share a memory of growing up in the Village
e-mail me at spinoart@comcast.net
feel free to comment on the posts. Directions are on the right side of the blog posts. Jump in, the water is fine and it is easy!!!


I will be posting photographs but not identifying individuals unless I have permission or they are a matter of public record. It you wish to give me permission, please let me know.

I am looking for any and all photos of the Village...

Please note: the way blogs work is that the latest post is first. It you would like to start from the beginning of the blog, check out the post labels on the right of the blog and go from there. Thanks.


Tuesday, March 19, 2013

MORE VILLAGE WARTIME MEMORIES





Ziggy was sent to Iceland and here he is outside his"living" quarters.
As he calls it, "ye, old Home"....this was just his style of humor. No doubt
Alveda's letters helped to keep him warm.



Meanwhile, back in the Village, Ziggy was not the only young man  away from his family and sweetheart during the war.  Here is Alveda with my Uncle Edward (Eddie), the youngest of the Souza clan.  She shared this photo with Ziggy.  WWII was a catalyst for villagers to start trending away from the Village as they saw new places and often met their sweethearts. Eddie would be stationed in far-off Texas and meet his lovely wife, my Aunt Grace there.  They would live there and bring up their children in Texas their whole lives.

Here is a another photo: this time of my Grandmother Delphina and her great friend, Mrs. Correia who lived with her son and his family on Bennet St. I   regret I never knew her first name only, respectfully, Mrs. Correia. She and my grandmother spent hours chatting in our living room or out on the front porch.  I never knew if they were both from Madeira.
They are on either side of an unidentified soldier but clearly since Alveda sent this to Ziggy, he would have known him.  I hope he fared well.





As we talk of young men like this, including Ziggy, I have to include 
a young man from nearby Fall River, MA. 
 This was my husband's Uncle Leo Pineault in his 
Durfee High School football gear.
This is quite a football history photo.
It is the only photo we have of him/

Uncle Leo was sent to the Pacific.  The day after Pearl Harbor the ship he was on was sunk and he and a few others managed to get on a life boat safely, only to fall into the hands of the enemy on a beachhead where they were executed.  Later one of Loe's grandnephews did some research and found out that Leo's remains were located and he is at rest in the national cemetery in Hawaii.
Just a reminder of the perilous state all of our troops were in during that terrible war.



Norm also had another uncle who was in the Merchant Marines during  WWII
and survived after many treacherous voyages across the N. Atlantic
to England and Russia as well as other countries. 


...............................
There is of course, more to tell of the Village in wartime which is anchored in the
love story of my Aunt Alveda and my Uncle Ziggy and some very exciting historical photos.
There is more to tell of the saga of Camp Myles Standish, too.

Stay tuned.



















No comments:

Post a Comment